EternaVerse
The Forum

Volunteer testing?

Let all testers post any questionns, concerns, and feedback for the development to process here.

Volunteer testing?

Postby Mhizzing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:09 am

Just noticed the overview's scrolling news mentioned testing at the testgrounds. What must be tested and how exactly do we go about testing?

My bad if I missed a thread I should have read which contains all the details I require, I'll delete this thread if someone could kindly notify me of anything I should've seen before posting this. Thanks.
Man created the phoenix to embody hope. Both rise from the ashes.
Mhizzing

Re: Volunteer testing?

Postby Eterna » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:43 am

Everything ;)

As mentioned, the testgrounds are a considerable rewrite compared to the current game.

to explain further:

The way resources are calculated, how espionage missions are handled, how speeds are calculated, how pages are loaded... so on.

Then there's the new layout, the new additions, and more.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Mhizzing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:21 pm

So do we give feedback about the features?

I like how we can queue research, even if it's only one extra. I spend less time worrying about whether or not something is being researched before I go to sleep that way.

To be honest, I prefer a plain and simple overview. The background that moves with your mouse (I'm assuming) is dizzying.

In the epicblue theme on the top left corner the drop down list of planets is gone. That menu was quite useful, and I don't seem to see another one with a similar function anywhere else except at the overview.

The epicblue theme's sidebar is kinda uneven. Perhaps if all the buttons were the same size and rows and columns were aligned? Unless the design is meant to have something to do with making the display work on mobile devices

The new layout for resources is neat and easier to read/use.

Or are you looking for actual results on things we do?

I made an offer on the market, seemed to work properly.

For some reason, everytime I enter an apostrophe in alliance internal/external messages, a \ appears before it when I save the message.

eg. Message: "How are we guys? Make sure not to get torn to shreds by huge fleets too often, 'cause... well, it doesn't feel so great."
becomes "How are we guys? Make sure not to get torn to shreds by huge fleets too often, \'cause... well, it doesn\'t feel so great."

Research proceeds normally.

Or are you looking for something totally different?
Mhizzing

Postby Bruin22 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:26 pm

all of the above really. test out the different features of the game, report any unusual occurences, whether its an image that is off or a function of the game is not working properly. just shoot E a message and he'll go into further detail with you if need be or take note of your comments.
Bruin22

Postby Mhizzing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:39 pm

Okay then. I will spend some more time on the testgrounds and compile as many observations as I can and get them to you guys as soon as possible. Starting with the ones above.
Mhizzing

Postby Eterna » Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:17 am

So do we give feedback about the features?

I like how we can queue research, even if it's only one extra. I spend less time worrying about whether or not something is being researched before I go to sleep that way.

*this will be the largest the research queue will get - it is designed to be a bottleneck

To be honest, I prefer a plain and simple overview. The background that moves with your mouse (I'm assuming) is dizzying.

*EpicBlue Classic is meant to be more simple. As I've mentioned before, the one thing I put my foot down on is creative design and layout - Classic is for those who don't want as much bells and whistles, but also looks very similar to other games of the genre.
Basically I'm working towards having a functional layout that improves the experience. Some people like simplicity, others like complexity - it's a difficult path..
More changes are coming, so some pages will change appearance over the next week.

In the epicblue theme on the top left corner the drop down list of planets is gone. That menu was quite useful, and I don't seem to see another one with a similar function anywhere else except at the overview.

*The planet menu is being added to specific pages. It is removed from the left menu because it's unnecessary on every single page, and in some cases.. it can confuse people. i.e. build something then switch planets - the planet you switch to will then build the same thing (it's how the php command works, it stores it in the header url). I am not finished placing it in all the necessary places - i.e. fleet, resources, overview, and one or two more pages.

The epicblue theme's sidebar is kinda uneven. Perhaps if all the buttons were the same size and rows and columns were aligned? Unless the design is meant to have something to do with making the display work on mobile devices

*This is still WIP.

The new layout for resources is neat and easier to read/use.

*Yes, trying to spread it (and other areas) out so it's not so confusing.

Or are you looking for actual results on things we do?

I made an offer on the market, seemed to work properly.

*Posting offers was never a problem, the bug was that players could cancel at any time (and instant transport between planets)

For some reason, everytime I enter an apostrophe in alliance internal/external messages, a \ appears before it when I save the message.

eg. Message: "How are we guys? Make sure not to get torn to shreds by huge fleets too often, 'cause... well, it doesn't feel so great."
becomes "How are we guys? Make sure not to get torn to shreds by huge fleets too often, \'cause... well, it doesn\'t feel so great."

*This is a security feature so as to prevent sql injections.

Research proceeds normally.

Or are you looking for something totally different?

* I am looking for extended testing on all features, not just visual but functional as well. For example, Coordinated tests are required to see if the espionage/resource production bug is still seen.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby lust » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:11 pm

when i get some free time i plan on spending extensive time playing around with the test server, but im gonna be moving in a few weeks, so ill be busy but after ill defintely test it hardcore.
lust

Postby Bruin22 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:20 pm

thank you for your efforts.
Bruin22

Postby lust » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:33 pm

yea i wish i could put more time into this game soon i might be getting a job at this tool and die shop, if so i wont have any EV time if that happens i might see about helping in some way, cause the hours the want you to work can be crazy. between this and all other games i play something will have to give :/
lust

Return to Testground Feedback