EternaVerse
The Forum

ORIGINS - The next phase! ALL SHOULD READ

Post all mobile phone suggestions here.

ORIGINS - The next phase! ALL SHOULD READ

Postby Eterna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:27 am

*This is still in WIP*

Ok so a while ago someone asked about Races.

The main reason we haven't done Races yet is more due to a lack of decent images to put together the "theme" of each Race.

So, as a first phase development, I've decided to start on a different tangent.
Origins.

Theory #1: Factions
In the end days of the Solar System, there were four Factions that controlled much of mankind's resources - Normerica, Eurasia, Luna, and Mars.

The United States, Canada, and Mexico have long since merged and become the Normerican Alliance.
The Eurasian Collective consists of the remains of the Middle East, Eastern and Western Europe, and all of Asia.
The Moon Colonies have broken off and formed the Lunar Pact - all residents giving up their original countries of origin.
The Mars Colonies have also broken off, forming the Mars Allegiance - all colonists considering themselves Martians first and foremost.

That established, each Faction gets a slight production boost in one area.
Normerica has a bonus to Fleet Construction Speed - 10% faster. No penalties yet.
Eurasia gets a boost to their Defense Construction Speed - 10% faster. No penalties yet.
Luna gets a boost to Research Speed - 10% faster. No penalties yet.
Mars gets a boost to Building Construction Speed - 10% faster. No penalties yet.

Theory #2: Corporations

No names put in for this one, but basically a similar idea to Earth 2025 (copyrighted game for the PC).
In the end of days, corporations owned governments - 4 conglomerates owned all the resources in the Solar System.

Basically the same premise as Factions, but only a separation of corporate logos and creeds.

So what does this all mean?

We can continue to add to this - we will start with 4 but can go as far as we like.
Anyone remember Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri? I'd like to have multiple choices...

Now, to reitirate:

Origins will bring in new tech, buildings, and ships available depending on the players choice.
Each choice will affect production, and yes, there will be penalties to maintain the balance.
First Phase won't have new images, Second Phase will.
Third Phase will bring in Aliens (and entirely new concepts).
Fourth Phase will be even more surprising.

What do I need to continue?

Let's have a Contest! The names in Factions are not set in stone - they can be changed at any given time.
So, this means that YOU the player can decide on the names.

@Bruin - can you please open a contest?
Eterna
Site Admin

Re: ORIGINS - The next phase! ALL SHOULD READ

Postby lust » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:49 am

i am willing to make logos and flags and such for the factions/ corporations
lust

Postby Daddyman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:55 am

I love the idea of something new to chew on. This will get rid of that stale bread taste that comes after more than a year of just the basic food groups. The staples are important but a little spice is always nice. Thank you eOs!
Daddyman

Postby Eterna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:14 am

At a later date I plan on having Aliens of several flavours, all new ships for each race/faction, and additional features that come into play with Alliances.

One thing really close to fruition is how the variables are handled - this will allow us to expand significantly.

We basically have a cap of 300 units - 100 buildings - 100 techs - 200 defenses - 100 officers.

@Lust - please come to testgrounds to see the first theory in action, I've just slapped together some logos (temporary ones).
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby lust » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:17 am

i dont have the testgrounds bookmarked anymore since i changed computers
lust

Postby Eterna » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:20 am

http://testgrounds.eternaverse.org/

Please make a new account - do not use any other theme than the default EpicBlue (rest are incomplete).
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby lust » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:34 am

The order of luna
History
mid 21st century humans were in trouble, rising populations, food shortages, and natural disasters had made the earth unsuitable for the human species ever growing needs. so millions of people ventured forth into space to live into space, moving into giant space colonies. because the huge demand for these space colonies, they were poorly designed lacking proper radiation shielding and safety measures to protect the residents. millions died of cancer and the children that were born were often malformed and died during child birth. in the early 22nd century there was increasing amount of these children born with heightened intelligence and reflexes. these children were hunted down and tested and locked up to never see the light of day. until one day they broke free stealing a ship and vowing to get vengeance for all that had been done to them.
flag
not done
lust

Postby Mhizzing » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Perhaps we could have 4 main corporations, then multiple factions within a corporation? So lets say we switch corporations and factions in Ryan's theories. So perhaps in the Normerica corporation, there is the Engineering faction (faster build times), the Exploration guild (safer expeditions), a fleeting group, a resourcing group, etc. That is, each corporation will have factions that give bonuses to every aspect of the game but at varying percentages. Perhaps the Normerica corporation gives a 10% bonus to engineering whilst everything else is lower. Eurasia, however, would possess a high bonus to fleet WSA, possibly.

Names:

Normerica is fine.

Eurasia reminds me too much of Orwell's 1984. Perhaps Xenasia? (mixed xenophobia with, well, asia. Perhaps this xenophobia could be part of their nature? Fear of the unknown, etc.)

Luna - Satylun (combined satellite with luna)
or - Nocoun (referring to their lack of a home country)
or - Motym (I just added a y to MOTM, for man on the moon, lol)
or - Pollora (Apollo, mixed it up a little)

Mars - I'm fine with this I guess.
Man created the phoenix to embody hope. Both rise from the ashes.
Mhizzing

Postby Eterna » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:31 pm

1984 is what gave me the idea of Eurasia, but I didn't like Oceania or Eastasia.. made me wonder..

this first phase only focuses on 4 specific differences - the second phase involves unique ships, buildings, tech, etc. - third phase is tying it to combat - fourth phase is to expand further.

only one downside to corporations is explaining why you're fighting eachother if you're in the same corporation. Factions split, so there's some merit to it. When races start getting added... it may change or expand. take this for a read: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Sid_Meier's_Alpha_Centauri/Factions
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Mhizzing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:38 am

Wow. Are we going to the extent of Sid Meier's with all those factions? I think I'll go with just factions then. The theory is sound, and to be honest I prefer how factions sounds more than corporations. "Faction" makes me think of camaraderie, friendship, blood, conflict, whereas "corporation" makes me think of people walking around in suits with uncomfortable objects jammed up their rear ends. That's just me, though.
Man created the phoenix to embody hope. Both rise from the ashes.
Mhizzing

Next

Return to Mobile Suggestions