EternaVerse
The Forum

Combat System Discussion - ALL SHOULD READ!

Post all mobile phone suggestions here.

Re: Combat System Discussion - ALL SHOULD READ!

Postby Taaxi » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:47 pm

I'll have to defer to eos, since I am not privy to the code, but I would assume that eliminating shields for all ships and going strictly by armor would achieve what you are asking for.
Taaxi

Postby LuliusGaiusCaesar » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:51 pm

This is not a good math because fleet can move and planet no, if you have a fleet and you got a gate you can crash the enemy easier.
Always attack is risky but the surprice make it stronger.
On part of that the defence system rebuild at 70% ships not.
LuliusGaiusCaesar

Postby Eterna » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Consider this, as stated many times..

This is the first release, and only through discussion and suggestions will the final release be feasible. This is merely the stats, NOT a new combat engine.

You'll note one detail.. only SHIPS were changed.
Defenses were relatively untouched, just added some RF here and there.

That comes next..

Let's go over the plan.

First - establish a calculated cost, attack, shield, and RF scale for fleet vs fleet. Ship stats change.
Second - establish same calculated stats, with a variation as defenses have one advantage which is also a disadvantage - they do not move. Defense stats change, new defenses added (for moon).
Third - we (and yes, I mean WE as in me, you, and the rest of the active players in eternaverse) test the limits and find the faults. fleet speeds become open for discussion and modification
Fourth - player input and adjusted calculations/variations shape the combat system structure.
Fifth - new combat engine designed, secondary combat sequence brought in, and RF attack method is torn apart with the targeting script completely redesigned. this time and only this time will there be a discussion on how to change how attacks are handled, how damage is distribute, etc.

All of these have to be done in order, otherwise the end result will never be what we want.

Naysayers or people that don't examine the MATH behind each and every combat round aren't helping finish the combat engine. I am more focused on fixing bugs and usability concerns than the combat engine, especially considering that I've made it clear I want it to be done as a community effort rather than "here it is, this is how it's goin to be".

Never once have I said these stats are set in stone, and I'm still workin on a way to post the spreadsheet to GoogleDocs... wish it had more functions.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Icterus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:29 am

I too have to agree with what Warlock said earlier in the thread. Trying to defend anything is near impossible. All a player has to do is amass a massive fleet of small ships and destroy everything in sight.

I also don't understand the whole concept of having to overcome the complete shield of the fleet. In my mind, each ship should have its own shield it maintains. And as a defender, my defenses should target ships individually. In other words, my defenses should have enough intelligence to only target each ship individually with enough power to take out that individual ship. There should be a downside to attacking a defended world. As it sits right now, you cannot build a defensive position without allocated all your resources to it. And even then, it doesn't take much to build a fleet that can overcome them. I find that frustrating beyond belief.

At this point, I'm going to have to take a break until this system gets fixed in some manner. Every player should be able to build a defensive position in some manner that can defend their planets.

Here's the combat report from last night. Yes, I realize I was caught with my pants down and my fleet was taken out. That's not my issue with it. My issue is an attacker getting away without a single loss and the 'Combined Shields' of an attacking fleet.

http://www.eternaverse.org/game/CombatR ... 120&ajax=1
Icterus

Postby Taaxi » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:55 pm

I totally understand your frustration about the "combined" shields.. I don't like it either, but I was pointing out that's how it works..

As far as not being able to build a defense large enough to thwart any attack, that is ludicrous.. That's the one thing an attacker has going for them.. The ability to see what you have and amass a fleet large enough to overcome it. The defender still has the chance to ninja the attack, which gives the defender an advantage, if they are online. Also, keep in mind that the more defenses someone has, the larger a fleet the attacker must amass, and the more deut it takes to send that fleet.. So, it is possible to build defenses large enough and leave resources few enough that it's not worth attacking you.
Taaxi

Postby LuliusGaiusCaesar » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:22 pm

I agree totally with Taaxi.
LuliusGaiusCaesar

Postby Eterna » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:49 pm

Regardless what anyone thinks, and this IS directed at you Icterus...

Giving input and participating in the discussion IS the only way the system will be fixed.
It will not be done just because you say it's glitched.

The combat engine is based off an OLD version of ogame, and as stated literally thousands of times before, it is the LAST portion of the game that is recoded. There's absolutely no way I can just "do it" and have it be what YOU the player wants. Thus, any who contribute to the end result.. they are the core of the game. Those that want it fixed, finished, polished, etc... without lifting a finger.. they can sit on the sidelines.

Now I get to rant...
This is a FREE game. This is a game which to this point has almost entirely been shaped by PLAYERS, not some coder. This is a BETA, always has been, so to expect the system to be done overnight is outright ludicrous. Those that were here when it started can attest to how much true progress has been made, but the combat engine has been left relatively untouched.

It's not that it's broken, it's just not like most of the competition. Most people are far too fixated on individual details and chances, not the whole.

Certain individuals have helped guide the game, to name a few:

The Bobinator, SportingGoods, Urwierdsaysi, Death (Gumppy). rjsturgill, rainstol, Trox, Helm, StewFry, Tancws, Taaxi, AvatarAcid, Suresh, DemonicTutor, myrsee, Manede, Zorton, Northface, DUNN, Jer4Play, Lost Soul, ... the list goes on.

Some no longer play, real life comes first, while others have played non-stop from the beginning.

These are the people this game is for... and the only way to get your name on the list is to get involved! No it doesn't come with a prize, just the knowledge that EternaVerse is THEIRS. Each and every player has the opportunity to be part of that.

Yes we argue, yes some things are slower coming than others, but no.. it doesn't change the reasons why those people help or have helped the game.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Icterus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 am

I'm sorry, I thought that by posting in the designated combat system thread I was participating in the discussion. I was expressing my concerns over the fact that defenses are meaningless against large amounts of small ships, and concerns over what I believe to be a flawed shielding system design. In addition I stated that I was going into vacation mode until such a time as the combat system stabilizes. I didn't say I was going to stop playing the game, just suspending my activity until the defenses get an overhaul.

I find it frustrating that after months of playing and enjoying this game, you cannot even build up enough resources to start the next research line without being sniped by other players and their massive fleets. You simply live in fear that you won't get spied out while those resources are sitting there. Yes, you can build a large cargo fleet and basically fleetsave your resources, but what a royal pain in the butt that is to manage. And when you do get attacked and the attacking fleet escapes unscathed, that's even more disconcerting.

I didn't say I was going to stop communicating on the issue, I just said that it's very frustrating. I never once said it was 'glitched'. I said I believe it was flawed in its design. I assumed that would open a conversation about it. And based on Taxxi's response, I thought we had. I play as often as possible, and no I don't have the time to engage in as many discussions about design and changes as other's do, nor can I work on the test sites to view changes and provide feedback. However when I do attempt to express some concern over the design that is implemented (using the correct medium for this, or so I thought). I get taken to task? Ok then, I guess that settles that.
Icterus

Postby suresh » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:28 am

Taaxi wrote:the more defenses someone has, the larger a fleet the attacker must amass, and the more deut it takes to send that fleet..

he is right by the way

like eos said he is working on the combat system and it takes time we have to wait and get used to be in Beta until it comes out :|
Member of the honourable KRIEGSTREIBEREN
suresh

Postby AvatarAcid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:31 am

Icterus wrote:Yes, you can build a large cargo fleet and basically fleetsave your resources, but what a royal pain in the butt that is to manage. And when you do get attacked and the attacking fleet escapes unscathed, that's even more disconcerting.

^ That. Do it, a bit of advice, if you do not fleet save your res in these types of games it won't be waiting for you when you log back in.

PreviousNext

Return to Mobile Suggestions