EternaVerse
The Forum

Should the ScrapYard cover ALL ships?

When ever there needs to be a vote on anything this is the place to do it.

Should the ScrapYard cover ALL ships? (Except the Death Star)

Yes!
57%
No!
43%

Total votes : 28

Should the ScrapYard cover ALL ships?

Postby Eterna » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:46 pm

Should the ScrapYard be used for any ship (Except the Death Star)?

Let's hear your argument!
Eterna
Site Admin

Re: Should the ScrapYard cover ALL ships?

Postby Taaxi » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:36 pm

Yes and defenses too...
Taaxi

Postby Eterna » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:49 pm

No, that's where I draw the line - no defenses in the scrapyard.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Taaxi » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:41 am

why not defenses, or even buildings? I hate to bring up the "logic" argument in a fictional game...
Taaxi

Postby Jer4Play » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:02 am

Looks like I tied it at 2 / 2 ..

I don't think it should -- It takes resources to tear down Buildings, think about the resources and manpower it would require to dismantle a massive vessel. There is ALWAYS the option to crash. Smaller vessels the requirements are rather negligible.
Jer4Play

Postby Apoclyps » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:28 am

I vote yes, with an addendum.

Small ships can be smelted or dismantled relatively easy so recovering 60% I am fine with.

Larger capital ships may require scuttling via explosives or some other type of more destructive scrapping so I think that it makes sense the return be less.

So, I vote Yes that all ships should be able to be scrapped but to institute a lower return on scrap or perhaps keep the 60% return but institute a "scrap timer". Lowering the return percentage would probably be easier to code.
Apoclyps

Postby Eterna » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:39 am

No to defenses for the same reason that buildings require a "fee" to deconstruct, you can't "move" them to the ScrapYard.
Buildings are completely out of the question.

I simply will not budge on this point.

As to Apoclyps's idea, it's far too complicated for such a simple task. What'd be the point in lowering the return for more expensive ships? More people would cry foul...
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Apoclyps » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:59 am

As to Apoclyps's idea, it's far too complicated for such a simple task. What'd be the point in lowering the return for more expensive ships? More people would cry foul...

Not to sound sarcastic, but what is the point of this poll then? Simply make all ships scrappable. I got the impression that you were trying to introduce some type of real world limitations into the game by not allowing certain items to be scrapped due to size, in that case I was just taking it to the next logical step.

My point then is the same as yours. Large ships require more effort to scrap and therefore if you wanted to follow that to its logical end the returns would be less and/or require more time to complete. If the programming effort is not worth it (and I agree that it isn't) then simply don't institute it. I was merely following your idea to its logical end. As a programmer myself, I realize that some things are simply not worth instituting unless the end users really want that fit and finish. In this case, I don't think we do (speaking for myself only of course). I honestly don't think it adds much, but the converse is true. I find it pointless to say that all ships cant be scrapped because of self imposed real world limitations while at the same time nixing a solution around it that is based on those same real world limitations. In my opinion, it is an either/or situation. Either you accept all ships can be scrapped despite the fact that it doesn't quite adhere to the real world or you don't. At some point you'll have to decide where the physics stops and the fantasy/scifi begins.

Hope that makes sense. Again, not trying to come down on you by any means, just explaining where I was coming from.

My answer still stays the same, I say Yes they should all be scrappable. The addendum can be taken or left, it makes little difference to me and as I said, I think it's too much effort to do unless you were to recycle your building de-construction code.
Apoclyps

Postby Eterna » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:53 am

the reason for the limitations on the current scrapyard have nothing to do with the theoretical size of the ships.

I limited it to tier 1 simply because I thought it unnecessary to give a HUGE list of ships...

I understand your reasoning behind the suggestion Apoclyps, and don't take it as me shutting it down for lack of a better reason.
DeathStars aren't to be included simply because of the 2for1 bonus. (can you say free res?)

While it would be nice to have a staggered return on higher end ships, I'd feel much more comfortable with an across the board rule than ship by ship. With the upcoming ship additions, a lot of things are to be moved around.

This poll is to get the community to make the decision for me so I'm not changing anything because of a single person's complaint.
If I wanted to start a debate, I'd have given more choices in the poll.

So, to reiterate, the vote is to determine if we include all ships except the DS to the ScrapYard, or stick with just Tier 1. Temporarily Zeus are in there because of ONE player who wished to return a couple he had built.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Apoclyps » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 am

It's cool, no blood no foul :D
Apoclyps

Next

Return to Voting Booth