EternaVerse
The Forum

[REVOTE] IPM - to IPM or not to IPM?

When ever there needs to be a vote on anything this is the place to do it.

Should IPM's be limited like Attacks?

Yes! (Bring on the voting on HOW we're going to limit them)
47%
No! (uhh.. no means no)
53%

Total votes : 36

Re: [REVOTE] IPM - to IPM or not to IPM?

Postby Apoclyps » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 am

I still think there are places where IPMs can be utilized. I used a bunch on a player and found them to be really cost ineffective, but they are fast to time on target which is nice.

Eterna, you have mentioned that you are working on a population resource (for lack of a better term).
Though you havent stated any specifics on it, I can see population being a target for something like IPMs. Missiles will do more than kill defensive structures after all....There may not be a "Geneva Convention" for interplanetary war mongers.
Apoclyps

Postby Eterna » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm

thats the idea Apoclyps, but I won't post any details or theories until I have a working model.

It's not just adding a new resource, it's adding a whole aspect to the game - population can be used a number of ways.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Apoclyps » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:55 am

That is fine. I guess what I am trying to say is that not all decisions should be based on the current state of the game. IPMs may be totally worthless to some now, but in the future there may be very good reason to have them.

Also, while a lot of people are saying that for players over 500K points IPMs are worthless, this does not take into account the players below 500K who are using them.
Perhaps you could make a couple different types of missiles? You have ABM and IPM, but maybe you could have some other types of missiles in the mix later on down the road. Like EMPs which halt all timers on a planet for X minutes per missile hit or something like that. (for example)
Apoclyps

Postby Eterna » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:40 am

those sort of things tend to be misused and abused more often than not.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby ZORTON » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:58 pm

I've never been a big user of IPM's as an offensive weapon in any of the games but they do have 1 extremely important use...destroying planetary defenses of inactives. If a player has gone inactive then they become more than fair game in my eyes. Some planets are very well defended and need to be softened before sending a fleet to raid.

Z.
ZORTON

Postby Eterna » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:12 pm

I believe we need a revote on this - I will lock this topic for future reference.
Eterna
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Voting Booth