EternaVerse
The Forum

Development Goals - ALL SHOULD READ!!

When ever there needs to be a vote on anything this is the place to do it.

Development Goals - ALL SHOULD READ!!

Postby Eterna » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:49 am

Well this has been a long time due, an open discussion about development.

Not just mods, tweaks, bugfixes, etc... but an actual solid plan on WHERE EternaVerse will go.
I've answered most questions when asked directly, but I can understand there are a great deal of questions still unanswered simply because they haven't been asked.

First off, the Development Cycle:
(yes, I borrowed this from Joomla!)
We've passed the first run of Alpha Phase already. Right now we are in the Beta Phase. I am testing many things, the list is rather long... and it gets longer when more good ideas are brought up. This phase will be over soon, when we enter the Stable Phase, a very short phase of a few months - this is when we firm up details, finish the combat engine, the moon shot, moon destruction, and a few others. When we release what will be "EternaVerse 1.0" the development STILL continues! 1.0 will go completely public, with it being considerably more stable...I won't say perfect, but it will be better than now. The way I have been running development the whole process is cyclical, even though I consider EV still in Beta, we technically have passed through these cycles several times now, I just haven't considered them as full cycles. The core game has been continuing at it's own pace, while the mods and ideas are brought in through their own smaller cycles.

Now each part of the three phases are important to understand.
First step is to Set Goals Community input is seeked out from this point on, with ideas first passing me then passing the community.
This is where many more ideas are brought in for testing, especially large changes that affect the game entirely. For the core, this was when I initially started in September 2010. During this time discussions for mods was opened as well -.
Second is Refactor & Develop
This is where ideas are fleshed out, cleaned up for use, fully analyzed and tested - then brought to the sandbox. For the core, this was when a bulk of the original features were added in October through December 2010.
Third is Framework
This is where ideas are finished, a template is made and the mod is live in testgrounds. For the core this was done in January 2011.
Fourth is Extensions
This is what I'd like to consider minor tweaks and polishes done to the end results. For the core, this was done in February 2011.
Fifth is Test & Document
This is technically supposed to be the whole Beta phase, but for mods this is done in the month after the mod is released into testgrounds. For the core, this has taken from March 2011 and is still ongoing. Each server change is a delay.. but I will get to that. After this stage Community Input is put onto the next release, development focuses on finishing tasks and won't take on additional ideas during the next two phases.
Sixth is Stabilize
This is where the mods are thoroughly tested and brought into the main game under close monitoring - players opinions matter a great deal at this point. For the core this will be when certain things are set in stone - completely finalized for that revision. Many things ignored now will be scrutinized then.
Seventh is Release
This is where the mod is no longer monitored as closely, and completely integrated into the main game with zero bugs. For the main game this is D-Day. I start openly advertising the game, I secure a marketing budget, a "store" is brought to the game so certain things can be bought, rather than relying on donations, and we go fully public.

Now we get to "What happens after?"

Ev 1.0 goes public. We will have a VERY lengthy deliberation and vote on how we all handle that - be it a restart with all current players given a bonus, or we retain the old players as they are and open to new players, or even keep Beta running on it's own Galaxy and start a new one! It's your decision!

Ev development continues! New ideas, new suggestions, more experiments!

Ev 1.1 goes public! A new Galaxy! A new Race!

Ev development continues! New ideas, new suggestions, more experiments!

Ev 1.2 goes public! Galaxies are linked, third Galaxy added, third Race added, Native ITunes and Android App created.

So on.

Yes there may be slow periods, other times it will be almost feverish in it's speed. However unlike so many others... development ALWAYS continues.

There is no 100% finished product, but at the very least I can give you something stable and enjoyable - and allow you all to have a hand in how it shapes.

For the in-game Store, let me be clear - I don't intend on making buildings or research instantly buyable, though there will be some upgrades available. I do not intend on opening a Bank, but I do intend on having a method for players to protect a small percentage for a dark matter fee.
Eterna
Site Admin

Re: Development Goals - ALL SHOULD READ!!

Postby Eterna » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:56 am

Current Development Goals:

New Rapid Fire Calculator - in sandbox
This addresses the issues seen with overages and will improve targeting, priority targets, etc.

Balanced Rapid Fire Figures - Complete* - still being double checked in sandbox
This is one of the key parts to a stable combat system.

New Attack Stats - Complete* - in testgrounds
A complete analysis of all ships and prerequisites, the cost deciding the stats.

New Ship/Defense Costs - Complete* - in testgrounds
Not only was this a work of over 30 people from the community, this involves calculations that factor all necessary to construct the ships, and in turn decide the resulting statistics.

Population - Complete* - first phase complete and in testgrounds, second phase in sandbox
A new resource, mostly used for ships/defenses. This is the first phase of Population, next involves usage in combat.

New Market System - Complete* - in sandbox
Reversed the market system, storing DM instead of resources.

New Missile System - 25% - in sandbox
Population killing missile weapon to be added.

Resource Optimization - Complete* - in testgrounds
Fixed the error, as well as fixed the time issues too.

Alliance Moonshot - 75% - in testgrounds for bug testing, not finalized
Send your ally a Moonshot for a fee via the Alliance page!

Lottery System - Complete* - in testgrounds
Win Dark Matter daily! The more participants the bigger the pot.

Debris Detector - 75% - in testgrounds, waiting for building
A building that expands it's range depending on it's level. It can detect debris fields within it's range.

Bounty System - 75% - in testgrounds for bug testing, not finalized
Put a price on another player's head anonymously! Hire mercenaries to attack your enemies.

New Message System - 75% - in sandbox
Reply button, better visibility, and fixed the ghost message bug.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Eterna » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 am

Additional projects being worked on:

WAR Page - similar to the Hall of Fame, but for WAR only. WAR will soon be completely managed in game. First, a new page similar to Hall of Fame, but for Wars fought. This shows the alliances involved, and the total damage dealt from the point WAR was declared. At a later date, I'd like it to show total number of Attacks, Wins, and Losses per Alliance.
Second, a new page which has a link that shows on the alliance page ONLY when a WAR is on. This page shows the same info as the WAR Hall of Fame, but with more current info. This would allow alliances to easily see how the battle is turning.

Message Board in Alliance Page - a message board that all alliance members can see, at a later date a message board for Allies as well.

Mining/Attacking Point System - ranking that shows on the Playercard and the Empire Page which calculates the total damage dealt and gives you points based off that in Attacker Points, and one that calculates the total resources spent on mines alone and grants players Miner Points. Points act as Experience Points, and you gain a level each time you hit a certain amount of points. Each Level costs more and more points as it gets further up. The reward for each level would be Dark Matter.

Additional info on Empire page - panel that shows detailed stats about the players empire - All data that is shown on the player card, in addition to the Attack/Miner point system.

PULL Button - a button that shows beside the username in the alliance team member list that allows any other alliance member to send a calculated amount - 1 hours of production on the planet the sender is on. This button must be limited to once every 24 hours, and it goes directly to the target players homeworld. When they receive it, there should be a message sent to both players. After this point, transports will be disabled between players to prevent abuse.

Fleet Speed - No longer will you be limited to increments of 10% for speed, a slider will be put in place to allow you to do 1% - 100%, any amount in between. A similar slider is planned for ACS Defense holding time.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Shade » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:44 pm

i was afraid of this

Eterna wrote:
Now we get to "What happens after?"

Ev 1.0 goes public. We will have a VERY lengthy deliberation and vote on how we all handle that - be it a restart with all current players given a bonus, or we retain the old players as they are and open to new players, or even keep Beta running on it's own Galaxy and start a new one! It's your decision!

i wont throw away a year from my life

the best decision in my opinion is this
Eterna wrote: we retain the old players as they are and open to new players
Terrified by the thought that you are all alone
Paralyzed by the fact that you are not alone
Your losing your mind, I am losing control
Your losing your mind,
as I bury your world
Shade

Postby Eterna » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:49 pm

Exactly why I want the community to decide, if it is left up to me I will retain the existing beta players with no 'adjustments'.

I know that a great number of players have been here from the beginning, which influences my decision on that.

However there is still the argument that this deters new players... hence why I want a discussion to perhaps offer alternatives.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Bruin22 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:27 pm

as biased as it is im sure over 90 percent of the playerbase is gonna want to opt for the retaining of current accounts. As for alternatives. Are there any sys we could allow for extra beginner incentives? I can't see any other way to even remotely balance this conundrum. Though I will continue to think of possible solutions
Bruin22

Postby DemonicTutor » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:56 am

A possible solution could be to keep this universe intact and create a new universe. New players can decide on which to join and some of us old timers can decide whether we want to try our luck in another universe as well...luck...WTF...SKILLS!!!

Postby Bobinator » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:13 pm

DemonicTutor wrote:A possible solution could be to keep this universe intact and create a new universe. New players can decide on which to join and some of us old timers can decide whether we want to try our luck in another universe as well...luck...WTF...SKILLS!!!

Best bet im thinking. We can keep what we already have, but the new uni allows everybody to start over.

One point though, a few years from now, there will be massive players in the new universe and new people still coming in. We cant have a reset for the new people every year, and we cant do a new universe for them either. Eventually it comes down to the new people just have to work up through the ranks and deal with the big people in front of them. That is what noob protection is for.
Bobinator

Postby Bruin22 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:05 pm

noob protection, tiered player attack range. Its so simple its genius. As far I know, no one else does it like that, but don't quote me on that one. Been focused on EV. Had no new to try other games. :D . Im guessing its really the only option.
Bruin22

Postby Eterna » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:41 am

Well one thing to remember, a back burner idea that has been proven quite feasible is a method of "linking" the galaxies... A Galaxy Jump Gate.

Would have to really hammer out more ideas on how to prevent it from just being a "top" players toy, and perhaps have it as a goal.

I.E. Galaxy 1, The Frontier, is where the epic players reside. Old as the ages, they are the king-tyrants of the Frontier. Denizens of Galaxy 2, The Wastes, all fight amongst themselves until one rises far enough above to control the Galaxy Gate. Only the very brave would risk the journey to The Frontier, however the glory and fame it brings will make Legends.
Eterna
Site Admin

Next

Return to Voting Booth