EternaVerse
The Forum

ORIGINS - The next phase! ALL SHOULD READ

Share Tips and other useful information or post your own game guides, the best ones will be made sticky.

Re: ORIGINS - The next phase! ALL SHOULD READ

Postby Eterna » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:13 am

more choices = more variations

naturally we won't go to that extent until we have the first four firmed up.

there still has to be unique ships, buildings, techs, and even perhaps planet images.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Bruin22 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:32 pm

My only comments and possible concerns about this are, if we use factions, you will generally see people join the faction that their respective countries are part of or nationality. So the Normerica faction, for example, would see a higher concentration of US, Mexican, and Canadians. This could be a positive or negative depending on how you look at it.
Bruin22

Postby Mhizzing » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:58 pm

Interesting. I suppose this would happen if we use the Earth we knew. What if we didn't? What if the humans of EV came from a totally different planet called -insert cool planet name here-. We don't even have to construct it, it was destroyed. They left it, all we have to know is what factions they left in, and we're creating those anyway.
Man created the phoenix to embody hope. Both rise from the ashes.
Mhizzing

Postby littlee » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:36 pm

You people have no idea what lvl factions and races and corp. are. In any case it's normally race, class (too bad their no class in this game), faction(in some games (much like this one) they skip to here and add ups and downs), corp/alliance/guild/etc. A corporation is a band of players( now that I'm thinking about it we should set these by regions of which you live in), that come together under a single icon/flag/symbol and a single name/title. The point of putting corporations after factions is because you could have the one up, and one down for each faction( put enough factions in there to cover every main part of game (attacking, building, researching, etc.)) And then let people make and pick and choose who they want to play with. (I still say we should put people in corporation based on where they live in but have the player made alliances remain so we have people in Asia talking wit people In The USA). I also think that we should just say we're all humans and not put races in the game. But if you're gonna go and make everything different for everyone then your prob. gonna have to have races. But that's a lot of work...just saying.
littlee

Postby Eterna » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm

to be honest, i only plan on doing separate races when a FULL CUSTOM THEME can be made for each. It would be a tremendous leap, not just unique ships but unique everything.

As I said, this is merely the first phase - it shouldn't be considered the end product.

My idea behind Factions seems to be more easily explained throughout the game, but not in a traditional sense - i.e. religious factions.
This is simply because I don't expect only Mars players to be in alliances with other players..

However, anyone ever played an old Microsoft game called Freeancer?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freelancer_(video_game)

Each "colony" had origins in one specific country from earth, and you chose who you allied with - you weren't limited to your homeworld.

So, realistically, you could consider Factions to mean Origins in this context - simply because we haven't implemented religion yet.
In Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, each separate Faction had a completely different belief - however they could form alliances with anyone.. if both parties were willing.

To have the "origin" decided by demographic region would stack the odds terribly - a majority of players are either european or north american. Players may choose this anyways, but it's a choice thing.

The second phase is to introduce even more differences, so Origins may have several factions - however I believe that it should be structured like this:

On registration, player chooses ORIGIN. Player starts playing and figures out they want to play as a Turtle, so they choose TACTIC. They then decide they are spending more of their time doing X, so they make X their FOCUS.
ORIGIN -> TACTIC -> FOCUS

So, Origin would be the basic bonus on one specific thing - right now construction time on one specific field. Later, origin specific buildings and ships will be added.

Tactic would involve production amounts, queue amounts, and an additional special ship unlocked.

Focus would be what you gear your empire for - a further boost in one field - Weapons, Shields, Armour, Cargo Space, so on.

Or we could delve into the extremely detailed Sid Meier's example and create more "Origins" to choose from, each with one advantage and/or disadvantage.

NOTE - ALL OF THIS IS PURELY THEORETICAL, FOR DISCUSSION ONLY
(I am not just going to go ahead and DO it, though at this time Testgrounds has the system called "Origins" not "Factions" or "Corporations)
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby apostolos » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:41 am

Gotta say I like the direction this is heading! I would have to say that I would go with FACTIONS on this one. Considering the Earth is destroyed then government and corporations would have collasped in the chaos leading up to that. People would have banded together based on their specific beliefs to survive. By spreading out into the unknown galaxies I think these factions would be running the show. People would have little faith in corporations and governments at this point in time.

Unfortunately the 1984 and PC game references are lost on me LOL. I haven't read 1984 in 20-25 years and don't play PC games (I'm a PS3 kinda of guy).
apostolos

Postby littlee » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:42 pm

Yeah Fractions would be best considering what apostolos said about the chaos after the collapse but we should have fraction that wants to rebuild the government they had on "Earth."

I think that we should put in a system of conquest.
Say for like 2-3weeks people join the game and pick and choose their origins and all that. Then after that time is up everyone will get a notice and the round will start.

After X amount of time you can attack someone and upon destroying/capturing all of their population, and putting X amount of your own population on said planet, that then you can "conquer" or take over that planet.

Now with that system in place we could start faction wars and factions trying to take out each other (sound familiar?)

Once all of one's fraction homes Planets are captured, that faction is considered conquered by whichever faction occupies the most Home Planets of that fraction.

Once a fraction has "conquered" another faction then that fraction gets 90% of all Home Planets of conquered fraction. While whoever hold the most Home Planets as an individual, gets the last 10%.

Now there's a couple of problems with this, #1 Fraction 1 has 500 people Fraction 2 has 350 people Fraction 3 has like 8 people.
To fix this then we can make it so they have to be within X of each other.
That means Fraction 1, 2, and 3 have to be within X of each other.

Problem #2, Once one fraction "conquers" another then they will become this huge unstoppable force. To prevent this, after one fraction conquers another then there will be some sort of huge disadvantage placed upon them.
Like all resource production is cut by 50% or something.

Problem #3 People will give other people their home world for something in return like credits or DM.
We can stop this by banning the people and by preventing someone to attack more than 3 times in an hour, or if they have talked to the person within 12hrs. This does not include alliance chat or messages.

Problem #4 People joining the currently winning fraction late in the round and giving them an extra boost to win.
We can say that you'll have to wait until next round or we can force them into the fraction that has the least amount of members. (Not counting "conquered" fractions)

Also I see people getting mad because their home planet was wiped and they were locked out of the game because they have no Home Planet.

We can fix This by having a rule saying After the Home planet has been taken, player can still play from one of his colonies. Colonies can only be taken when home planet is still with its original owner. I also see people re-conquering their home planets or warring over a home planet. I don't see a problem with this but say that a Planet (Home Planet or Colony) can only change hands 3 times in 9hrs.
Tell me what you think.

*edited for readability - please try to separate looooooong paragraphs.
littlee

Postby Eterna » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:12 pm

Interesting take, and very nicely thought out.

I must point out that Problem #2 is much graver than that - it would allow a player to destroy their enemies empire - especially since most players focus on their homeworld.

Second, there's been a suggestion for the ability to conquer planets. It has been soundly denied by the community and myself, simply because it is far too easily abused after a certain point.

For example, say you are a well developed player ranked near the top, and someone just within your attack range comes down on you. Not only would they be able to destroy your fleet and profit off the debris, but they would then be able to take your planet and all it's wealth. Even if it was only one planet, it would result in the victim to be set back weeks if not months of work. The winner then only becomes stronger, and even a resource production penalty won't change that significantly enough.

Third, and this is a similar statement made a year ago by myself to the first person who suggested it - anything that can be easily manipulated by two or more people able to communicate elsewhere than through the game will only result in an unfair advantage. If it can't be hard-coded into the game as a preventative measure - i.e. the bashing rule still under work - then it's not practical simply due to manpower. The limited number of admin we have would not be able to prevent even the most blatant of abuse where players "hand off" planets to give their friends an advantage over an enemy.

Other than all I point out, it is a meaty suggestion and definitely one to re-analyze and adopt to something a bit more fair.

I.E. I plan on doing "Alliance Territory" - this would make it so the more Alliance X colonies are in a system, the more control they have - a dominating alliance will have their colour of choice highlighting each system they control. All Alliance X members would gain a boost of sorts, and any who Alliance X declares war on will have a slight penalty. If Alliance X went to war with Alliance Y, then Alliance Y would benefit from expanding into Alliance X's territory - and to keep their members safe Alliance X would have to reinforce their positions.

You like?
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Cormac Mak Morn » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:23 am

I like the idea of several races, 6 to 8 different types, with 2 or 3 of them having to always start in a particular sector. Small bonuses of different types to each race.
I also like belonging to a particular type of faction with can give positive & negative bonuses.
Cormac Mak Morn

Postby Storm » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:43 am

Where would I go to volunteer on things that need to be done. I re-created an account on the testing server, but I'm not sure what to do.
"Death from Above"
Storm

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and help topics