EternaVerse
The Forum

ANOTHER ^&*(^%# SERVER MOVE??????!

Share Tips and other useful information or post your own game guides, the best ones will be made sticky.

ANOTHER ^&*(^%# SERVER MOVE??????!

Postby Eterna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 am

Yea.. This isn't something I wanted to do.

I've been made aware of a problem that originated about 8 weeks ago.
Our server was growing more and more unstable... and nobody could explain why.

Tech support blamed my scripts.. until I pointed out we're barely using 64mb of ram at peak!

I ran a 6 week test, showing uptime, server speed, responsiveness, so on. It showed a steady decline.
Nothing could explain it.. until I ran a test on pure html, no sql involved at all.. no problems.

Further analysis of the database showed it was steadily deteriorating at a rate that would mean a HUGE amount of work, and a complete shutdown, just to repair. The backup from four days before was complete enough to be repaired.

I made a judgment call, either repair the entire thing and close the game, or repair what could be done quickly but still thoroughly...

I am very confident our luck will be better with this new server!
Eterna
Site Admin

Re: ANOTHER ^&*(^%# SERVER MOVE??????!

Postby MegaMedes » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 am

No problem eOs...we all know that the game is still in BETA...which means things like this can happen. I see no big deal, I would rather lose 4 days of production and research and building, than lose everything. I say keep up the good work :D

I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight. May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I surely will not.
MegaMedes

Postby Dunn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:19 am

Great choice. New server seems to run well, and as Mega said, if 4 days is the price , completely worth it.

For all those that have a problem with this eOs, my answer is spelled B E T A..then tell them to go F*&@ themselves..diplomatically of course. Keep up the good work.
Dunn

Postby suresh » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:21 am

thanks to you i was thinking to kill my EI's and now i can rebuild a different fleet now :D
Member of the honourable KRIEGSTREIBEREN
suresh

Postby imtheman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:14 pm

while i understand this is beta, i had no warning whatsoever of this happening. 4 days of production down the drain is really no big deal, its beta, it happens. i have spent more time over the last 4 days on this game than ever before though. i colonized 3 new planets and got many many moonshots from a friend that created over 10 new moons, so i would have a moon on every planet. also if this did not happen last night, all my new moons would have nanites and jumpgates completed this evening. i have been playing this game for about 4-5 months now and this is the absolute WORST time that this could have happened to me. i posted a support ticket ingame to see if there was anything that could be done, but after reading this post i am assuming it will be a big no sorry. its been a nice run, but i think i am going on a permanent vacation.
imtheman

Postby Leeroy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:44 pm

i can understand how you are felling m8 , i lost over 20 bill res i have collectet from players that dont read the forum or game news and lost all, now they have bin given all back and now they are chacing me , with fleet that they shoud not have anymore :roll:

i know its a beta game, but seriusly it smells like someone have bin complaining about lost fleet and got ther will at the cost off the active players.
Leeroy

Postby imtheman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:52 pm

i don't know about that, but i hear what u r sayin. i have a lot of that too. its the moons and jumpgates that i can't swallow. i stayed up all night for like 3 nights playing this game on my thanksgiving vacation getting these moons. i do not multi account, so its not something i can just do again by myself. it was a unique opportunity to create these moons that will not be happening again anytime soon.
imtheman

Postby Dunn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:16 pm

I was just expressing my own opinion, i've no idea if eOs is planning to reimburse people and ive no problem if he chooses to do so. My understanding is that this was a solution to a problem that sounded very serious and possibly very detrimental to the game as a whole with a much larger amount of time/energy being lost if not handled in the manner it was. Accidents happen, no one likes when they do. To Imtheman: Don't let 1 instance spoil your obvious enjoyment of the game. I'm glad you opened a support ticket, give eOs some time to respond. I hope you stick around.
Dunn

Postby AvatarAcid » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:36 pm

I really hope you guys are joking. I was set back more than both of you combined by about 10 times and I don't even care lol, yet you think its cos some tiny fleets got toasted by some slightly less tiny fleets?? :)

Welcome to the world of IT, where the can never go wrong scenario can happen even after the slimy sales guys say it can't and start collecting your money. As Dunn stated this is a Beta game. Just be thankful eOs was able to nail the problem, that he himself didn't even cause by the way, down before it was much worse. Trust me, a 4 day roll back is very lucky in scenarios like this, so I am surprised and thankful it was only 4 days.

Lets all try to be a bit more understanding? And lets try to do it without any 'buts'.

Postby imtheman » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:08 pm

look, i am not a whiner. i read these forums and laugh at the whining that goes on. yes this is beta and i have gone with the flow, understanding that. u say that u lost sooooo much more than me, sure at face value i'm sure u did. and given the size of ur empire, i'm sure u don't even care. lol u did not lose more than me though, when u take into account the size of my empire vs the size of my loss (which btw cant even be measured), i am sure i lost WAY more than u. and its not like it matters anyway who lost more dude. the fact is that i have been a very active player because i really do love this game and where i think it can and will go, much better than the rest of the games like it imho. i have really enjoyed playing eternaverse and would like to continue. "but" i can not just swallow the loss of the last 4 days and go on like i was before. maybe i will just become a lot less active player and put most of my activity into one of the other games, maybe i will just delete my account. really idk what i will do. eOs has put hr after hr into this game and seems to try to make all the people happy all the time. as we all know this is impossible. i have not ever complained about one other thing in this game and when he says scrap the fleet, i scrap the fleet. when he says no u can keep this i keep it. i understand this is beta and am willing to do anything he asks to make his job easier so he can focus on the game development and not the complaining about individual loss. really just wanted to vent here, and i did so............
imtheman

Next

Return to Tips and help topics