EternaVerse
The Forum

ANOTHER ^&*(^%# SERVER MOVE??????!

Have a grievance or Want to wage war on another Alliance?

This is the only place in the Forum where some flaming is allowed - discuss the front here.

Re: ANOTHER ^&*(^%# SERVER MOVE??????!

Postby SkippyAustralia » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:15 pm

I agree, 4 days is nothing....
I admit, I did lose a lot. But meh... I can rebuild.

Remember " This is a game"... shit happens.

All I can say is under the circumstances eOs succeeded in saving as much as he could. If not, the rollback would have been 2 months (I think).

@imtheman - just chalk it up to a loss and rebuild.
SkippyAustralia

Postby SportingGoods » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:59 pm

Not that my opinion matters, but venting in the form is OK. as long as it is civil.

There is no notice that can be given if a database gets corrupted. We could recommend forced vacation mode on any recovery action in the future so interrupted fleet saves, attacks, and what not are frozen allowing a player to return in a controlled fashion at a time of his/her choosing.

As the database was corrupted, I am uncertain what more players can expect as the data representing the game results of the last few days is corrupted. Even though the game is in beta this was not the fault of the game. This is a purchased service paid for by e0s personally and with any contributions received. If we are regular players and want a more reliable service I would hope contributing would come to mind - or hosting the service, or programming assistance, or .....
SportingGoods

Postby Eterna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:49 pm

Every bit of progress for the last 4-5 days was lost, there is no way to recover anything that was done ONLY in that period.
check all your planets closely, nothing was lost from that day forward - you may even still have your fleet and resources on all planets and/or moons.
all that was lost was what you did in the last few days, nothing before that - at least according to my audits.

No reimbursement can be done that is fair across the board for all players - you technically did not lose a thing except time. Resources should have gone up by approx 4 days of production though. I will probably end up giving every single player 20,000 dark matter at the end of the check (and planned continuation of the update - I LOST 4 days too remember).

EternaVerse is still a Beta and is on an extremely tight budget. As we are only donation driven then we are at the mercy of the service provider.
I have moved the server to one that is significantly better, more expensive - but within my budget still. A "good" server costs upwards of 300-400 US a month, while an "excellent" server costs thousands. We are on an average server now, the old one being sub-standard.

The issue here is that the old server we were on was badly managed. Everyone grumped and groaned when the server would crash for an hour here and there... but nobody at all could take preparations for this event. Absolutely nobody, not myself, not the tech support, nor anyone else I asked could anticipate this loss. The ineptness of the server admin team resulted in a failure not just for our site, but with several hundred other sites. On top of that, their backup system failed months ago and they had no explanation.

The random chance of the database I recovered enough to use was more because in preparation for the update I had taken several manual dumps of the database before and after certain updates.

This was the only way I could do the recovery at all really, every single automated backup from yesterday on to two months ago was corrupt. Some only minor, but enough that it was not entirely usable. The manual dump had some corruption, but was laid out in a different manner - allowing for a much faster comparison.

I am going to be spending another 5 hours tonight running checks and comparisons just to ensure we aren't going to have another crash.
I have 40+ support tickets to answer too, just because people didn't take the time to read the game news.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Eterna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Just a footnote:

I fully realize that this 4 day roll back will piss off people, but if 4 days lost makes them quit... they wouldn't handle playing the game in the first place.

I have answered more than 50 support tickets tonight, and the question is all the same - why don't I give them their ^#$^& back?
A simple answer, if I restore ONE person, I have to restore all. To do that I have to completely shut down the game for a week or two - because the database is so corrupted I would have to cross reference and extrapolate the true contents, then manually enter every single planet and account individually.

So.. 4 days vs up to 14? what if it took 21 days? would it be worth it?

Under the Terms and Conditions, nothing stipulates I have to do anything... but because I care about each player.. I am answering each support ticket myself. I've seen a few people quit, which to me is not even a problem. The devoted players have already voiced their support and understanding.

It could have been significantly worse.
How would you all feel if the only database we could run was from two months ago??
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby Leeroy » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:38 pm

ok it seems fair, but why on earth have the one with the biggest fleet not recykled his fleet like the rest of us :?:
no way hi can have population to rebuild exactly the same again.
and i know that for a fact corce he have bin powding my clan sins he got his fleet back ;)
Leeroy

Postby Eterna » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:53 pm

well something else I think is just, every single planet should get 20 million population?

please send me the name of the player via a PM in-game (to eOs) and I will take a look, I've spent most of this night answering support tickets and running checks and comparisons on the database.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby imtheman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:46 am

i would like to make one more comment before putting this issue to rest. to eOs: your main concern is fairness across the board, u stated it would not be fair to all players to restore some players but not all players. the fact is that players who were not active during this period lost nothing. i have 4 days of production sitting on every planet. all that was lost was my time/activity. u mentioned giving 20k dm to all players. from a individual standpoint this certainly makes up for my loss, i can use moonbot at 250 dm a moonshot and should be able to recreate the moons i lost with that 20k dm. however if fairness is the issue, all players getting this 20k dm jump is certainly not fair, it evens the playing field and removes any advantage a very active player has over a more passive player.
i have only one ally in this game who will remain nameless. he is the one who turned me onto this game in the first place. he is a very inactive player in this game because he thinks it is geared more toward the turtle rather than the fleeter. i argue with him all the time over this issue, he is a VERY active player on one of the other games that he feels is more fair to the fleeter. he feels this game is slanted toward the turtle and as it grows will become more and more geared toward turtleing and will eventually push all fleeters out. i am a fleeter, personally i think it is boring to just build defense and manage my own res. however if this is what i had been doing over the 4 days lost it would be no big deal, and i would get 20k dm, great. i would be very happy.
i guess my point is this, i think it is unfair to treat all players the same on this issue regardless of whether they were active or not during this 4 day loss.
fleeting in this game at the level i am at is somewhat boring, i mainly attack inactive players to gain res and build my empire up to where i can compete with the stronger players in the game who are fleeting also. that has been my goal from the start. so any advantage that i get over the rest of the player base is great because it allows me to grow in relation to the rest rather than grow with the rest. activity is the only way to get a leg up on anyone, and it should be.
i mentioned deleting my account and quitting this game in an earlier post, i definitely will not be doing this. i enjoy playing the game too much to do that. i would like to be part of this game now and later when it launches.
i wanted to put that out there. i respect eOs's decision on this issue, and i will move forward accordingly, probably as a much less active player, more like a turtle.
Last edited by imtheman on Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
imtheman

Postby Eterna » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:57 am

one man's fairness is unfair to others.

i cannot give all players restitution without shutting the game down for over a week - how is that fair?
this would cost you even more than the loss.

If you can't respect that it is a Beta then don't play at all.
Eterna
Site Admin

Postby imtheman » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:37 am

as i said, i respect your decision. i just wanted to put that out there. was also wondering how other players felt about this matter.
imtheman

Postby Taaxi » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:40 am

It sucks to lose 4 days of progress. I spent quite a bit of time during that period, on the game and it was lost.. But, shit happens- everyone was restored the same and it's like those 4 days just never happened. All we lost was time and not progress. I'm not happy that it happened, but it could have been much worse. I work in IT.. I have a customer that had their server crash a few years back.. When I went to restore from backup- I found that their daily backups were no good and that their only good tape was the Year End they did. This happened in November, so they lost the most current 11 months. That was devastating to their business, but they rebuilt. 4 days is nothing...

If anyone should be cheering, it's Deamon.. Demonictutor performed an epic crash of his giant fleet, which he did not scrap prior to the price change, and recycled it for him. So, Deamon is back in business, like nothing happened..
Taaxi

PreviousNext

Return to Alliance Wars